Tips to Get Your Dog Licensed

Aug 27, 2012   //   by admin   //   Blog  //  1,731 Comments

On April 26 (Tuesday) and April 27 (Wednesday) LA Animal Services will have a tent here on the Peninsula to assist people in licensing their dogs.

I visited a senior ACO (Animal Control Officer) on April 9 and suggested that they set up a location on the peninsula since they were being SO active down here. Officer Castillo took the suggestion into consideration and we got it!

They will be at PACIFIC & VIA MARINA FROM 7am to 12pm assisting dog owners.

Not only is licensing your dog the law, but it also benefits your dog by helping identify owners of lost animals. Each license tag has a unique number assigned to your dog alone. People who find a lost dog with a tag need only call the telephone number printed on the tag for quick owner identification and reunion with the lost dog. If a licensed dog is lost or taken to a shelter, L.A. Department of Animal Services can identify the owner by the tag number and contact the registered animal owner. Dogs with licensing information are held in the shelters while the owners are contacted.

If you pay your water and power bill to DWP then you are regulated by the City of Los Angeles, Department of Animal Services and this date and location applies to you.

What you need to license your dog:

a) a COPY of current rabies vaccination certificate.
If you do not have one, call your vet and request a copy via fax or mail. If your dog was a puppy when the rabies vaccine was first given and it has been over a year, then your dog needs another rabies vaccine. In mature adult dogs (14 months or older) the rabies vaccine is good for 3 years.

b) a COPY of the certificate of sterility.
Your dog does not have to be sterilized (spayed/neutered) to get a license. However, your licensing fee will be higher. Bring a copy of the certificate of sterility. As with the rabies certificate, if you do not have one or cannot find it, request a copy from your vet.

If you bring original documents, you will not get them back, so be sure to bring copies.

NOTE: some dogs were adopted and the new owners were not given certificates of sterility. OR your dog is very, very old and you no longer have access to this document. In these cases, a visit to your current veterinarian to have them do a brief exam on your dog and give you a letter that states ‘in their professional opinion…this animal is incapable of breeding’ should suffice.

c) a completed application

d) a check

If your dog is sterilized (aka: altered, spayed, neutered) then the fee is $20.00 per year. If you had licensed your dog years ago and haven’t done it annually, expect to pay for past years.

Low income seniors (62 years +)/Disabled can have their dog licensed for free if that dog is sterilized. Be prepared to show proof of low income or disability.

Replacement license tags are $3.00 per dog. For seniors there is no charge for a replacement tag.

DOG WALKERS: please share this information with all of your clients. Remember, if you are caught with unlicensed dogs you can be cited since you have custodial responsibility over those dogs during the time they are in your care. If your client refuses to license their dog, ask them if they are willing to reimburse you for the day of work you will miss plus court fees. If your client still refuses to license their dog, then you have the option of relinquishing that dog to the ACO in order to avoid a citation. Then your client will have to pick their dog up at the shelter and handle all the necessary paperwork and fees.

You can help your clients by bringing the completed paperwork to the site on the dates listed. These are peak work hours, so many of our clients won’t be able to be there in person so ask them to complete the paperwork and bring it for them. For my very few clients that still have unlicensed dogs, I will gladly do this for you.

Comments are closed.